Posted By OKABE & HAUSHALTER 05-Apr-2018
According to a grand jury indictment, ten alleged members of the Sureños gang have been arrested and charged with 7 killings, which have taken place in San Francisco over the past few years. The men are believed to be affiliated with the 16th Street and 19th Street Sureños gang, who are known to commit robberies, assaults, and engage in violence to keep command of their territories and, in specific, the drug trade in Mission District. All seven of the murders were committed between 2007 and 2013, within that region of San Francisco. The details of each of the offences include:
- Two males in their 30s, charged with murdering two rival gang members in 2007, and involvement in a drive-by shooting in 2007, amongst other charges
- A 33-year-old male charged with assisting other gang members when hunting for rivals, resulting in two deaths
- A 29-year-old man has been charged with fatally shooting a 16-year-old rival at a birthday party
- Two males are charged with fatally shooting two rivals in a retaliation attack, with one also charged with acting as a getaway driver, and attempting to hide his participation in the incidents
- A 38-year-old male is charged with conspiracy to murder
- Two mid-30s males are charged with assisting each other, and other gang members, in a hunt for rivals, which resulted in death
These charges have resulted from an investigation carried out by the U.S Attorney’s Office, United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigation’s branch, and the San Francisco Police Department. Six of the ten accused were arrested following the filing of the grand jury indictment in late March, one was taken into custody from Santa Clara County Jail, and the remaining three were already in prison.
Have You Been Accused Of, or Charged With, San Francisco Street Gang Crimes?
Any crime you may be charged with in San Francisco can have its sentencing increased if the judge believes that you have been acting as a member of a gang. These gang enhancements are taken very seriously by the California legal system, and can result in significantly harsher sentences and penalties. Using California penal code 186.22 definition of a gang as “any formal or informal group, association, or organization of three or more people that:
- Commit criminal acts as one of their primary activities
- Share the same name, or identifying symbols or signs
- Includes members who habitually engage in criminal activities, whether individually or as a group
Depending on the circumstances of your crimes, the addition of a gang enhancement could see you facing:
- An additional sentence of up to one year in county jail for a misdemeanor gang enhancement
- An additional sentence of between 16 months and 3 years in state prison for a felony gang enhancement
Defend Your Rights with Legal Representation from a San Francisco Criminal Defense Attorney
If you are facing criminal charges, and believe you may be subject to gang enhancements, it is strongly recommended that you seek legal representation from an experienced San Francisco criminal defense attorney immediately.
For a free case evaluation, and to find out how we could help you, call us today on 310-430-7799.
Category: Criminal Defense