Posted By OKABE & HAUSHALTER 09-Feb-2019
We know that the “Me Too” movement has heightened awareness of sexual harassment as well as more serious allegations, particularly in the entertainment industry. In most cases, the person accused of harassment or something worse is usually a man. One thing is certain, the old ways of doing things and sweeping accusations under the rug are over.
But we want to talk about another problem that people encounter that does not usually make the news at night – false rape accusations. It happens, and it is not fair to those accused. Not only does it ruin the life of the person falsely accused, but it takes the attention away from those who really did experience assault.
Our legal system is one in which people are innocent until proven guilty, but anyone facing rape accusations is automatically seen as guilty in the eyes of most people. We do want you to consider this – there are studies that show anywhere from 2-10% of rape allegations are proven to be false. This study does not include cases of attempted rape or allegations of sexual harassment.
Do you know what to do if you are falsely accused? At Okabe & Haushalter, we are here to help when you need a Los Angeles sex crimes defense attorney.
Why Would Anyone Make False Accusations?
We have seen many scenarios in which a person has been falsely accused. While this list is strictly hypothetical, consider these three possibilities:
- Someone is going through a bad breakup or argument with their partner. In the midst of the situation, one person decides to accuse the other of something they did not do to get back at them.
- There certainly have been times when a person’s identity has been mistaken and they were accused of something they did not do.
- There are also times when people engage in consensual sexual behavior but one of the people involved later says that it was not consensual.
What We Can Do
You must secure a defense attorney who will diligently work to ensure you are not taken down by false accusations. A skilled and experienced legal team will immediately:
- Review the evidence presented by police and the prosecutor
- Obtaining affidavits from everyone involved, including any witnesses
- Obtain all written and electronic communication between you and the accuser
- Dig into your accuser’s background and previous cases they have been involved in
- Work to build your character and reputation
What You Can Do Now
We know that this is a confusing time for you, but you must act quickly if you have been falsely accused of rape. The public will already be forming their own opinions and the prosecutors will certainly charge forward at full speed. The consequences are far-reaching and involve hefty prison sentences and a requirement to register as a sex offender for life. At Okabe & Haushalter, we will work to clear your name and get you back on your feet. When you need a Los Angeles sex crimes defense attorney, you can contact us today by clicking here or calling 310-430-7799 for a free consultation.
Category: Sex Crimes